Working with web links in Resources
Note: To complete these procedures, you must be
assigned a role having the necessary permissions. To determine your
role, follow the directions in Participant roles. For a basic understanding of roles and
permissions, see Permissions and roles: Overview.
Adding a web link
To add a Resources item that is a URL to a web site:
- In your site's menubar, click
- Next to the folder to which you want to add the URL, from the
Add menu, click
Add Web Links (URLs).
- For each resource, type the URL in the box. (You may omit the
- Add a title for your URL link resource. If you don't add a title,
the URL will be used as the title of the resource.
- To add a description, and control access and visibility, click
Add details for this item:
- Next to "Description", enter text to describe the site to which
- Under "Availability and Access", control who can access the URL
and when it's available, as follows:
- To display the resource to site members only, select
of this site can see this file. (This option is not available if
the folder to which you're adding the resource is publicly viewable.)
- To share the resource with another site to which you belong (e.g., as
an attachment to a syllabus item for another course or project you're
This file is publicly viewable. (This option
is not available if the folder to which you're adding the resource is
- To display the resource only to selected groups, select
this file to selected groups only. , and then select the
group(s) that should have access. (This option does not appear if you
don't have any groups in your site; for more, see Managing groups.)
- To show or hide your resource, or set a beginning and/or ending date
for its visibility, click the appropriate selections. (This option
does not appear when you're adding an item to Resources in My
Workspace.) Site administrators will always be able to see
hidden items, even when they are hidden from other users.
- To add detailed descriptors, click
Optional properties. You
can then add information to the following fields:
- Alternate Title
- Subject and Keywords
- Date Created
- Date Issued
- Audience Education Level
- To add another URL, click
Add Another Web Link.
Note: To remove a URL from the list of URLs to
add, click the red
X next to it.
- Next to "Email Notification", specify whether or not you want to
have members of the site notified automatically via email when the
resource is posted. (This option does not appear when you're adding an
item to Resources in My Workspace.)
Note: The notification email message will include
the web site title and description (if you entered one), and the
Add Web Links Now to finish.
Editing a web link's details
To edit the name, description, or availability and access settings
for a web link, from the
Actions menu next to the link's
Edit Details. Make your changes, and then click
Update to save them.
Updating a web link
To change the URL for a web link, from the
Actions menu next to
the link's name, click
Edit Content. Make your change, and then click